Holiday Safety Tips for Your Pets

Pet Sitter Austin TX

The holidays are filled with family time, shopping, decorations, food and tones of traveling. This should be a happy time for you and your pets, not a time to be visiting the emergency vet because your pet got a hold to something dangerous. Dr. Noe Galvan, DVM at Bat City Mobile Vet Care has provided us with 10 Holiday Dangers for pets and how you can plan accordingly and keep your pet safe.

#10 Christmas Trees:

The most popular staple of the holiday season is the Christmas tree, however, trees are full of potential dangers to pets.Pets are often intrigued or mesmerized by the flashing lights. They may cause injury to themselves if a heavy tree is knocked over.In addition, Christmas trees are decorated with tinsel and small ornaments which if ingested can cause intestinal obstructions.

Lastly, in order to make real Christmas trees last the entire holiday, water additives are often added. These additives pose a potential risk to pets in the household if they are ingested.

#9 Candles:

Candles unattended in the home can cause thermal burns or even start a house fire if knocked over.

#8 Visitors:

Although a seemingly low danger to pets, guests often travel with other pets, medications, or may simply cause unexpected stress to pets.

#7 Electrical Lights and Cords:

Puppies and curious kittens like to chew; unfortunately, around the holidays many homes have a number of electrical cords exposed or easily accessible to pets. These can cause electrical shock and severe burns around the mouth

#6 Festive Potpourris:

There are many different types of potpourris, however, liquid potpourris may contain substances such as essential oils and detergent salts which may not only cause severe gastrointestinal upset but may also be very caustic to mucous membranes.

#5 Snow Globes:

Many snow globes contain a toxic compound called ethylene glycol (also known as anti-freeze). Often times, it is the sweet smell of the ethylene glycol which can lead to a potentially fatal ingestion. Keep these out of reach or use extreme caution

#4 Batteries:

With all the toys around Christmas time, many of these toys and gadgets require batteries which can be potentially harmful to pets. Batteries often contain material which cause severe chemical burns if they are punctured or swallowed. Veterinary attention is required immediately.

#3 Homemade Ornaments and Ice Melting Products:

SALT is the common denominator in both of these items. Homemade ornaments particularly those made from play dough contain salt which if ingested can lead to potentially fatal intoxication in pets.

Although not exclusive to the holidays, ice melt products are popular around the holidays particularly in cold climates. Many chemical de-icing products contain potassium chloride, magnesium chloride, among other ingredients which can cause fatal intoxications when ingested.  Some products even cause chemical burns to a pet’s sensitive paws.

#2 Ornamental Plants:

Although plants are a popular addition during the holiday, there are however certain popular plants to be aware of such as:

  • Holly: Vomiting, Diarrhea, Depression
  • Mistletoe: Vomiting, Diarrhea, difficulty breathing, low heart rate, low blood pressure
  • Poinsettias:  While not deadly, they may lead to vomiting and gastrointestinal upset and vomiting
  • Certain type of Lillies: Kidney Failure; Heart Arrhythmias
  • Amaryllis: Vomiting, Depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hyper-salivation, anorexia, tremors

#1 Holiday Foods:

What better way to celebrate the holiday season than with food?! Certain foods which are popular around the holiday can make pets very sick:

Chocolate, Xylitol ( Sugar Alcohol), Turkey Skin and Bones, Alcoholic Beverages and Fruit Cakes

Be Sure to keep the following information available especially around the holidays:

Holiday safety tips for your pets

Posted by
TLDOM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *